Welding is an advanced science and is an integral process in manufacturing, defence, resources and construction industries. Industry-experts at AWS have developed this course to give Engineers the unique opportunity to learn more about the science, skills and risks of welding.
Please be aware that for the safety of both Students and Staff during this COVID-19 cycle, the scheduled Topics in Welded Structures (TiWS) workshops will be replaced by online alternatives. Stay tuned for more information on how to participate in the virtual AWS TiWS Workshop 1 & 2.
‘Topics in Welded Structures‘ presents the concepts behind welding and joining technology.
- Welding and joining techniques
- Equipment and consumables
- Weldability of engineering materials
- Economics, standards, health and safety
- Testing and repair
The concepts are then applied to the design and fabrication of engineering components, process plant and structures. The importance of selecting the correct welding process and parameters for a particular application will be demonstrated by investigating several case studies.
Since a weld/joint can have a profound effect on the performance of a component depending on the in-service conditions it experiences, the influence of the service environment will be investigated.
At the end of the course, students will have the knowledge to assist in the selection of processes and parameters to make appropriately designed, sound joints, fit for service in the operating environment.
Topics covered in this course:
Introduction to Welding
• Welding and Weldability
• The Arc
• Heat Flow in Welding
• Intro to quality assurance in welded fabrication
• Quality control during manufacture
• Residual stresses and distortion
• Economics and productivity
• Introduction to Welding Processes
• SMAW/GMAW/GTAW + Welding Specification
Weld Quality & Safety
• Welding imperfections/corrosion & acceptance criteria
• Non-destructive testing
• Measurement, control and recording in welding
• Workplace health and safety & compliance
Metallurgy of the Welding of Metals
• Overview– types of materials, structure & properties of
metals, phase diagrams, strengthening mechanisms
• Steels– metallurgy, heat-treatment, carbon equivalent,
• Welding of alloy steels, characteristics & effects of alloying
• Welding of stainless steels
• Basics of weld design
• Joint design for welding & brazing
• Behaviour of welded structures under different types of
• Welding processes- visual inspection workshop
• NDE + Case Studies with Stan Royston
*Contact us for dates in 2019
Find out More
Register your expression of interest below
We’ll contact you ASAP to answer any questions you might have